In the center of northern Crete, nestled between the sea and mountains on the edge of a nature preserve, you’ll find Villa Lekani. At an elevation of 1,250 feet, the villa boasts a majestic view of Mount Vryssinas, but is only five miles from the beach!
Once a forgotten 16th century Venetian noble’s summer residence, Villa Lekani has been lovingly restored over a five year period. The architecture characterizes the Venetian and Turkish presence in Crete at the time it was constructed. Deemed a historic building by the Ministry of Culture, the renovation preserves the original building materials and craftsmanship. Built out of stone yet light and open, the villa has cypress wood open beam ceilings, tile and wood floors, and tiled bathrooms and kitchen. The floor has both radiant heating and cooling; coupled with the insulating stone walls, the villa maintains a comfortable temperature year round.
Villa Lekani is rustic and charming, but totally updated to high modern standards. The villa has four bedrooms, three full bathrooms, open living spaces, and comfortable furnishings. The master bathroom has an original Turkish hammam that has been restored and contains hydro-massage and a steam bath. There is a garden terrace complete with a swimming pool, a table and chairs for outdoor dining, a BBQ and wood oven, sun lounges and umbrella, and an outdoor half bathroom.
Prices include: utilities, bi-weekly maid service, final cleaning
Amenities include: phone, satellite TV, DVD player, stereo, swimming pool with hydro massage, Hammam with hydro massage and steam bath, safety deposit box, first aid kit, hairdryers, iron and ironing board, fire extinguishers
Fee services available on request: spa treatments, Cretan cuisine cooking lessons, guided tours, laundry service
Villa Lekani is built on two floors. The ground floor entry opens into an arched room that serves as a multi-use area. On one side is a bedroom with a queen bed and ensuite bathroom with a bathtub, and an adjoining sitting room furnished with a table and chairs. On the other side is an informal dining room with a stone vaulted ceiling, furnished with a long wood “monastery” table with place settings for up to ten people, which leads to the kitchen. The kitchen is fully equipped for all of your cooking needs and includes a stove, oven, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, and washing machine. There are a full set of dishes and cooking utensils. Walls on the ground floor are made of stone, tiled floors, and cypress wood open beam ceilings.
Outside the villa, stone steps lead up to a small veranda and the main entry to the first floor. Inside, the entry hall is a spacious, open area that contains the formal dining and living rooms. Here you’ll find a dining table and chairs that seat up to ten people, and in the living room, comfortable furnishings, satellite TV, stereo, DVD player, and a small refrigerator for beverages. This area has high ceilings and tile floors.
On one side is the “master” bedroom with a queen bed, a fireplace, a veranda, and an ensuite shower bathroom. Large windows allow you to enjoy the view of the surrounding mountains. In addition, there is a connected sitting room, with a fireplace, and an original Turkish hammam that has been restored and contains a steam bath and hydro-massage. These rooms have cypress wood open beam ceilings and tile floors. On the other side are two bedrooms, each furnished with two twin beds (convertible to queen beds) and a bathroom with a bathtub. These rooms have cypress wood open beam ceilings and wood floors.
Villa Lekani is located on the edge of the geographic region of Chromonastri, within the protected area of the NATURA network. It is just five miles from the charming harbor town of Rethymno, the beach, and the central axis road that runs through northern Crete (Rethymno is equidistant from the cities of Chania, 45 miles, and Heraklion , 50 miles.) Guests can partake in many local cultural events in the area that take place throughout the year. At these events, you can learn about Cretan traditions and everyday life on Crete.
Walking excursions in the surrounding area:
• Stroll through the residential area surrounding the villa. You can stop at one of the traditional kafenions for a quick snack, or at one of the tavernas for a meal.
• A walk in the surrounding scenic area combined with a visit to the Byzantine churches of "Panagia Kera" and "Agios Eftichios" takes about 1 ˝ hours each. These Christian monuments are noted for the Byzantine artwork that adorns the buildings.
• A hike to mount "Vryssinas", which in ancient times was made as a Holy pilgrimage. Once you drive to the starting point, it takes about 4 hours round trip.
• A worthwhile walk is through the gorge of Mylon which you will see as you approach on your drive up to the residence. You can walk through the gorge, by the river and through the abandoned habitats with their water mills which will take you about two hours depending on how far you wish to go. Walking all the way through will take you right down to the sea.
Driving excursions in the surrounding area:
• Driving west toward Chania about 45 minutes takes you to the old town where you can explore or continue further to the Samaria Gorge.
• Driving east takes you along the coastal beaches of Rethymon and, in an hour, to the town of Heraklion where you can continue on to the historic Palace of Knossos.
• Driving south takes you on the old road towards Amari, Spili, Agia Galini, Plakia and to the Monastery of Preveli.
King size bed: 180 cm, Queen size bed: 160 cm, Double bed: 140 cm, Twin bed: 80-100 cm
Price for Villa Lekani
View prices by seasons
Prices are per week and listed in US Dollars. Weekly Rental Saturday to Saturday.
There is no map currently available.